Photo, Print, Drawing Negotiating Table of the Locarno Treaties.
About this Item
- Negotiating Table of the Locarno Treaties.
- The Locarno Conference of October 1925, named for the small city in southern Switzerland where it was held, is remembered for the agreement known as the Locarno Pact. Signed by France, Germany, Belgium, Great Britain, and Italy, the treaty guaranteed Germany's western frontier, which the bordering states of France, Germany, and Belgium pledged to treat as inviolable. Britain and Italy promised to help in repelling any armed aggression across the frontier. The Rhineland, a part of Germany occupied by the victorious Allied Powers after World War I, was permanently demilitarized and occupying forces withdrawn. The agreement was to come into force only when Germany was admitted to the League of Nations with a seat on the Council, which occurred in 1926. Six other treaties were concluded at Locarno, including arbitration agreements between Germany and Poland and Germany and Czechoslovakia and agreements by which France and Poland and France and Czechoslovakia promised military assistance to each other in case of attack by a third power. This photograph of the negotiators at work was taken on October 5, the first day of the conference. Locarno marked the end of the war period and the beginning of a hopeful new era of peace and cooperation in Europe, but one that did not survive the economic and political crisis of the 1930s. In 1936, Adolf Hitler denounced the Locarno Pact and sent German troops back into the Rhineland. The photograph shown here is in the archives of the League of Nations, which were transferred to the United Nations in 1946 and are housed at the UN office in Geneva. They were inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World register in 2010.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1925-10-05.
- - Belgium
- - France
- - Germany
- - Italy
- - Switzerland--Ticino--Locarno
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- - 1925-10-05
- - Boundaries
- - Group portraits
- - League of Nations
- - Memory of the World
- - Politics and government
- - Portrait photographs
- - Treaties
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph ; 16.4 x 22.9 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Raymond J. Sontag, A Broken World, 1919-1939 (New York: Harper & Row, 1971).
- - Original resource at: United Nations Office at Geneva Library.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- League of Nations Archives
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Negotiating Table of the Locarno Treaties. Ticino Italy France Switzerland Germany United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Belgium Locarno, 1925. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -10-05] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670573/.
APA citation style:
(1925) Negotiating Table of the Locarno Treaties. Ticino Italy France Switzerland Germany United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Belgium Locarno, 1925. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -10-05] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670573/.
MLA citation style:
Negotiating Table of the Locarno Treaties. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -10-05] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670573/>.