Photo, Print, Drawing International Signs. Permanent Committee on Road Traffic.
About this Item
- International Signs. Permanent Committee on Road Traffic.
- The Organisation for Communications and Transit was a technical body of the League of Nations responsible for promoting international cooperation in such areas as international road traffic, rail transport and inland navigation, ports and maritime navigation, unification of road signals and maritime signals, simplification of passports and visa procedures, and transmission of electric power across national frontiers. The organization established a number of permanent and temporary committees for specific policy areas, including the Permanent Committee on Road Traffic. The Organisation for Communications and Transit held major conferences in Barcelona in 1921 and in Geneva in 1923 to conclude conventions on ports and railways. The organization also took the lead in working with member states of the League to draw up the 1931 Convention on the Unification of Road Signals. Shown here is a system of international road signs and hand signals proposed by the Permanent Committee on Road Traffic. The document is from the archives of the League, which were transferred to the United Nations in 1946 and are housed at the UN office in Geneva. They were inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World register in 2010.
- League of Nations. Organisation for Communications and Transit Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1928.
- - 1928
- - Automobiles
- - Memory of the World
- - Signs and symbols
- - Traffic regulations
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 62 x 48.7 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: League of Nations, Archives Catalogue, UNOG Library, Communications and Transit Section, 1919--1946, http://biblio-archive.unog.ch/detail.aspx?ID=411. External
- - Original resource at: United Nations Office at Geneva Library.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- League of Nations Archives
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
League Of Nations. Organisation For Communications And Transit Creator. International Signs. Permanent Committee on Road Traffic. , 1928. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670574/.
APA citation style:
League Of Nations. Organisation For Communications And Transit Creator. (1928) International Signs. Permanent Committee on Road Traffic. , 1928. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670574/.
MLA citation style:
League Of Nations. Organisation For Communications And Transit Creator. International Signs. Permanent Committee on Road Traffic. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670574/>.