Photo, Print, Drawing Marquis Garroni and Benito Mussolini.
About this Item
- Marquis Garroni and Benito Mussolini.
- Alois Derso (1888--1964) was a noted Hungarian cartoonist and satirist who worked for the League of Nations during the 1920s and 1930s. He specialized in drawing satirical pictures of prominent world leaders and of League meetings, such as the 1932 Conference for the Reduction and Limitation of Armaments. This caricature by Derso depicts Italian dictator Benito Mussolini (1883--1945) and Marquis Eugenio Camillo Garroni (1852--1935), the Italian ambassador to Turkey and a delegate to the 1922--23 Lausanne Conference. Garroni is depicted as a short, portly, and servile man grasping and kissing Mussolini's hand while the dictator looks on with an arrogant expression on his face. Mussolini was widely mocked by cartoonists, writers, and other public figures outside Italy for his bombastic pronouncements and his militaristic posturing. The exact date of the cartoon is unknown. It is held in the archives of the League, which were transferred to the United Nations in 1946 and are housed at the UN office in Geneva. The archives were inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World register in 2010.
- Derso, Alois, 1888-1964 Illustrator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1922 to 1923]
- - Italy
- - Turkey
- - 1922 to 1923
- - Caricatures and cartoons
- - Garroni, Eugenio Camillo, 1852-1935
- - League of Nations
- - Memory of the World
- - Mussolini, Benito, 1883-1945
- - Politics and government
- - Satires (Visual works)
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 32.8 x 25.8 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: United Nations Office at Geneva Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- League of Nations Archives
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Derso, Alois, Illustrator. Marquis Garroni and Benito Mussolini. Turkey Italy, 1922. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1923] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670581/.
APA citation style:
Derso, A. (1922) Marquis Garroni and Benito Mussolini. Turkey Italy, 1922. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1923] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670581/.
MLA citation style:
Derso, Alois, Illustrator. Marquis Garroni and Benito Mussolini. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1923] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670581/>.