Photo, Print, Drawing Sera Monastery.
About this Item
- Sera Monastery.
- This photograph showing the principal shrines of the Sera monastery, seen from the east, is from a collection of 50 photographs of central Tibet acquired in 1904 from the Imperial Russian Geographical Society in Saint Petersburg by the American Geographical Society. In The Buddhism of Tibet or Lamaism (1899), L.A. Waddell writes: "The temples and houses of Sera stand on a slope of the mountain-spur, planted with hollies and cypresses. At a distance these buildings, ranged in the form of an amphitheatre, one above the other, and standing out upon the green base of the hill, present an attractive and picturesque sight. [. . .] The monastery of Sera is remarkable for three large temples of several storeys in height, all the rooms of which are gilded throughout. Thence the name from ser, the Tibetan for 'gold'." The photographs in this collection were taken by two Mongolian Buddhist lamas, G.Ts. Tsybikov and Ovshe (O.M.) Norzunov, who visited Tibet in 1900 and 1901. Accompanying the photos is a set of notes written in Russian for the Imperial Russian Geographical Society by Tsybikov, Norzunov, and other Mongolians familiar with central Tibet. Alexander Grigoriev, corresponding member of the American Geographical Society, translated the notes from Russian into English in April 1904.
- Norzunov, Ovshe M. Associated Name.
- Tsybikov, G. Ts. (Gonbochzhab Tsebekovich), 1873-1930 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1900 to 1901]
- - China--Tibet--Lhasa
- - 1900 to 1901
- - Architecture, Tibetan
- - Buddhist architecture
- - Buddhist temples
- - Monasteries, Buddhist
- - Mountains
- - Shrines
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph ; 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: L.A. Waddell, The Buddhism of Tibet or Lamaism (London: Luzac & Co, 1899).
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Views of Great Tibet
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Norzunov, Ovshe M. Associated Name, and G. Ts Tsybikov. Sera Monastery. Lhasa China Tibet, 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1901] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670611/.
APA citation style:
Norzunov, O. M. A. N. & Tsybikov, G. T. (1900) Sera Monastery. Lhasa China Tibet, 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1901] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670611/.
MLA citation style:
Norzunov, Ovshe M. Associated Name, and G. Ts Tsybikov. Sera Monastery. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1901] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670611/>.