Photo, Print, Drawing Tibetan Women in Sunday Attire
About this Item
- Tibetan Women in Sunday Attire
- This photograph showing a group of Tibetan women dressed in Sunday attire is from a collection of 50 photographs of central Tibet acquired in 1904 from the Imperial Russian Geographical Society in Saint Petersburg by the American Geographical Society. In Tibet (1890), W.W. Rockhill writes: "Married women part their hair in the middle and plait it like a rope on either side, bringing it together behind; the smaller the tresses, the more beautiful it is considered. Unmarried women wear another plait at the back of their heads. On the top of their tresses they wear strings of pearls (or beads) or coral, called dum-che, fastened to the hair by a silver hook. To the lower end of their tresses they attach strings, seven or eight inches long, of beads or coral, which hang on the shoulder; they are called do-shal." The photographs in this collection were taken by two Mongolian Buddhist lamas, G.Ts. Tsybikov and Ovshe (O.M.) Norzunov, who visited Tibet in 1900 and 1901. Accompanying the photos is a set of notes written in Russian for the Imperial Russian Geographical Society by Tsybikov, Norzunov, and other Mongolians familiar with central Tibet. Alexander Grigoriev, corresponding member of the American Geographical Society, translated the notes from Russian into English in April 1904.
- Norzunov, Ovshe M. Associated Name
- Tsybikov, G. Ts. (Gonbochzhab Tsebekovich), 1873-1930 Photographer
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1900 to 1901]
- - China--Tibet
- - 1900 to 1901
- - Clothing and dress
- - Tibetans
- - Women
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph ; 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: W.W. Rockhill, Tibet (London: Royal Asiatic Society, 1890).
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Views of Great Tibet
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Norzunov, Ovshe M. Associated Name, and G. Ts Tsybikov. Tibetan Women in Sunday Attire. China Tibet, 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1901] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670639/.
APA citation style:
Norzunov, O. M. A. N. & Tsybikov, G. T. (1900) Tibetan Women in Sunday Attire. China Tibet, 1900. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1901] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670639/.
MLA citation style:
Norzunov, Ovshe M. Associated Name, and G. Ts Tsybikov. Tibetan Women in Sunday Attire. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1901] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670639/>.