Photo, Print, Drawing Portrait of Benito Pérez Galdós.
About this Item
- Portrait of Benito Pérez Galdós.
- This portrait of the writer Benito Pérez Galdós was produced by the Valencian painter Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida in 1894. Born in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria on January 10, 1843, Galdós became a major Spanish literary figure, the author of more than 80 titles that included novels, historical novels, and plays. His work encompasses many different features and trends, including a realism that recalls certain novels of the Spanish Golden Age as well as the influence of 19th-century Russian and French writers. Other major themes in Galdós's fiction are the concern for the religious and mystical currents present throughout Spanish literature, and interest in Regeneracionismo (regenerationism, a political and intellectual movement in Spain that sought to understand the reasons for the country's decline as a great power). Together, these elements led to the creation of works that spoke to the political, social, and everyday concerns of readers in late-19th and early-20th century Spain. In his painting, Sorrolla captures the calm, detached attitude of the great realist writer. The original of the painting is in the Pérez Galdós House Museum, in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, and is one of the most important and well-known pieces in the museum.
- Sorolla, Joaquín, 1863-1923 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1894.
- - Spain--Canary Islands--Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- - 1894
- - Authors
- - Authors, Spanish
- - Pérez-Galdós, Benito, 1843-1920
- - Portrait paintings
- - Portraits
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Oil on canvas ; 73 x 98 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Cabildo of Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sorolla, Joaquín, Artist. Portrait of Benito Pérez Galdós. Canary Islands Las Palmas De Gran Canaria Spain, 1894. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670665/.
APA citation style:
Sorolla, J. (1894) Portrait of Benito Pérez Galdós. Canary Islands Las Palmas De Gran Canaria Spain, 1894. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670665/.
MLA citation style:
Sorolla, Joaquín, Artist. Portrait of Benito Pérez Galdós. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670665/>.