Photo, Print, Drawing View of the Port of La Luz and the City of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Vista del Puerto de La Luz y ciudad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
About this Item
- View of the Port of La Luz and the City of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
- Vista del Puerto de La Luz y ciudad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- This watercolor landscape, painted in about 1889, is by Eliseo Meifrèn y Roig (1859-1940), a Catalonian artist who specialized in impressionist marine seascapes. It represents a partial view of the Bay of La Isleta and Puerto de La Luz, near the northeast tip of the island of Gran Canaria, with the house of the maritime pilot and the English barges that supplied the coal trade. In the distance is the town of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, capital of the Spanish province of Las Palmas. The Puerto de La Luz, initially planned in the 1850s, was built in 1883-1903, largely through the drive of Fernando de León y Castillo (1842-1918), an influential local politician. A port existed there from the late 15th century. It was at one time a base for ships traveling between Spain and its New World colonies. In the late 19th century, it became an important stop for ships on routes between America, Africa, and Europe. The contract to build La Luz port was awarded to the British firm Swanston and Company and the work was overseen by Juan de León y Castillo, an engineer and brother of Fernando. This painting is in the collections of the León y Castillo House Museum, in Gran Canaria.
- Meifrén, Eliseo, 1859-1940 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1889.
- - Spain--Canary Islands--Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- - 1889
- - Boats
- - Docks and ports
- - Harbors
- - Impressionism (Art)
- - Lighthouses
- - Ports
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Oil on canvas : 145 x 201 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Cabildo of Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Meifrén, Eliseo, Artist. View of the Port of La Luz and the City of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Canary Islands Las Palmas De Gran Canaria Spain, 1889. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670666/.
APA citation style:
Meifrén, E. (1889) View of the Port of La Luz and the City of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Canary Islands Las Palmas De Gran Canaria Spain, 1889. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670666/.
MLA citation style:
Meifrén, Eliseo, Artist. View of the Port of La Luz and the City of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670666/>.