Photo, Print, Drawing Offices for Shipping and Forwarding Companies of Elder. Oficina de consignatarias y navieras de Elder
About this Item
- Offices for Shipping and Forwarding Companies of Elder.
- Oficina de consignatarias y navieras de Elder
- This photograph, taken in 1907, shows the interior of the offices of a British shipping and forwarding company in the port of La Luz, near the northeast tip of Gran Canaria (Canary Islands, Spain). La Luz, also known as Las Palmas Port, was built between 1883 and 1903 by the British firm of Swanston and Company. Strategically located some 100 kilometers west of Morocco in the Atlantic Ocean, between the continents of Europe, Africa, and the Americas, the Canary Islands was important as a coaling station for steamships transiting long distances. The coal was mostly mined in the United Kingdom, and shipped to the Canaries for sale, primarily by British companies, to steamers that put into port for fuel. Most of the shipping and forwarding companies in La Luz were also British. The offices shown here are most likely those of Elder Dempster & Company and its affiliates. Headquartered in Liverpool, the company had a branch in the Canary Islands that among other things introduced the banana into England in 1884. Commercial activities linked to the port contributed decisively to the social transformation of Gran Canaria in the late 19th century. The photograph is in the collections of the Foundation for the Ethnography and the Development of Canarian Crafts (FEDAC).
- Ojeda Pérez, Luis Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1907.
- - Spain--Canary Islands--Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- - 1907
- - Business organizations
- - Commerce
- - Men
- - Merchants
- - Office buildings
- - Shipping
- - Steamboat lines
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Gelatin-bromide print on paper : 24 x 18 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: "La Luz Port History," http://www.laluzport.com/MAIN_folder/HISTORY/laluzhistory.html External
- - Original resource at: Cabildo of Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ojeda Pérez, Luis Photographer. Offices for Shipping and Forwarding Companies of Elder. Canary Islands Las Palmas De Gran Canaria Spain, 1907. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670667/.
APA citation style:
Ojeda Pérez, L. P. (1907) Offices for Shipping and Forwarding Companies of Elder. Canary Islands Las Palmas De Gran Canaria Spain, 1907. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670667/.
MLA citation style:
Ojeda Pérez, Luis Photographer. Offices for Shipping and Forwarding Companies of Elder. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670667/>.