Photo, Print, Drawing The Very Large Portuguese City of Lisbon, a Most Famous Market Town for the Whole East and West India. Lisboa amplissima lusitaniæ civitas, totius indiæ orientalis et occidental: emporium celeberrimum
About this Item
- The Very Large Portuguese City of Lisbon, a Most Famous Market Town for the Whole East and West India.
- Lisboa amplissima lusitaniæ civitas, totius indiæ orientalis et occidental: emporium celeberrimum
- This panoramic view of Lisbon in 1619 is from the collection of cityscapes and broadsheets that once belonged to the Swedish statesman Count Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie (1622-86). The coat of arms of Portugal is in the upper-left corner; the coat of arms of Lisbon on the right. At the bottom of the engraving is a description of the city, printed in 16 columns, in French and in Latin. The Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie collection consists of 187 engravings from the late 1500s and early 1600s. The prints originally were bound, ordered, and assigned a number. The early provenance of the collection is uncertain. After perusing the correspondence of King Gustav II Adolf and the Dutch philologist and diplomat Johannes Rutgersius, the former national librarian of Sweden E.W. Dahlgren conjectured that the pictures were ordered by the king and purchased by Rutgersius. The collection later was incorporated into the library of Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie, then deposited in the Archive of Antiquities at the end of the 17th century, only to be transferred to the Royal Library in 1780. An exhaustive catalog of the collection was published by Isak Collijn in 1915, Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie's samling af äldre stadsvyer och historiska planscher i Kungl. Biblioteket. Dahlgren provides an account of the early provenance of the collection in his article, "Miscellanea" in Nordisk tidskrift för bok- och biblioteksväsen (1920).
Created / Published
- Amsterdam : Joducus Hondius, 1619.
- - Portugal--Lisbon--Lisbon
- - 1619
- - Churches
- - Cities and towns
- - City walls
- - Cityscapes
- - Description and travel
- - Panoramic views
- - Ports
- - Ships
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Shelfmark: KoB DelaG 81"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 engraving ; 42 x 215 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Sweden.
- - Content in French and Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Very Large Portuguese City of Lisbon, a Most Famous Market Town for the Whole East and West India. Portugal Lisbon, 1619. Amsterdam: Joducus Hondius. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670738/.
APA citation style:
(1619) The Very Large Portuguese City of Lisbon, a Most Famous Market Town for the Whole East and West India. Portugal Lisbon, 1619. Amsterdam: Joducus Hondius. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670738/.
MLA citation style:
The Very Large Portuguese City of Lisbon, a Most Famous Market Town for the Whole East and West India. Amsterdam: Joducus Hondius. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670738/>.