Photo, Print, Drawing Panorama of London from Southwark, 1600. Civitas Londini
About this Item
- Panorama of London from Southwark, 1600.
- Civitas Londini
- This panoramic view of London from Southwark is from the collection of cityscapes and broadsheets that once belonged to the Swedish statesman Count Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie (1622-86). In the upper-left corner is the coat of arms of England; in the upper right is the coat of arms of the city of London. The inset in the lower-left corner shows a view of Westminster; that in the lower-right corner a smaller plan of central London. In the middle of the panorama is a cartouche with a text, in English, explaining that this "description of the moste famous city London" was made by John Norden in the year 1600, during the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Below the panorama, on five separate sheets, is a representation of the lord mayor's cortège. This engraving is the only known complete copy of this view of London. The Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie collection consists of 187 engravings from the late 1500s and early 1600s. The prints originally were bound, ordered, and assigned a number. The early provenance of the collection is uncertain. After perusing the correspondence of King Gustav II Adolf and the Dutch philologist and diplomat Jan Rutgersius, the former national librarian of Sweden E. W. Dahlgren conjectured that the pictures were ordered by the king and purchased by Rutgersius. The collection later was incorporated into the library of Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie, then deposited in the Archive of Antiquities at the end of the 17th century, only to be transferred to the Royal Library in 1780. An exhaustive catalog of the collection was published by Isak Collijn in 1915, Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie's samling af äldre stadsvyer och historiska planscher i Kungl. Biblioteket. Dahlgren provides an account of the early provenance of the collection in his article, "Miscellanea" in Nordisk tidskrift för bok- och biblioteksväsen (1920).
- Norden, John, 1548-1625? Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1600.
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland--England--London
- - 1600
- - Churches
- - Cities and towns
- - Cityscapes
- - Description and travel
- - Horseback riding
- - Panoramic views
- - Ships
- - Thames River (England)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Shelfmark: KoB DelaG 89"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 engraving ; 36 x 125 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Sweden.
- - Content in English and Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Norden, John, ? Artist. Panorama of London from Southwark. England London United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 1600. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670739/.
APA citation style:
Norden, J. (1600) Panorama of London from Southwark. England London United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 1600. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670739/.
MLA citation style:
Norden, John, ? Artist. Panorama of London from Southwark. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670739/>.