Photo, Print, Drawing The Dome Hospital.
About this Item
- The Dome Hospital.
- This is a photograph of the interior of the Dome Hospital in Brighton, on the south coast of Britain. Several buildings in Brighton were converted into hospitals during the First World War to treat the thousands of Indian soldiers who were wounded while fighting in France. The most spectacular of these was the converted Royal Pavilion in Brighton, originally built in the "oriental" style for King George IV in the early 1800s. There were over 680 beds for wounded Indian soldiers in this hospital, and it was "fitted with every modern convenience." This series of several hundred photographs recording the contribution of Indian soldiers to the Allied war effort was produced in 1915 by the Canadian-born photographer Charles Hilton DeWitt Girdwood (1878-1964). As a professional photographer, Girdwood had an early connection with India, where he photographed the Delhi Durbar of 1903, the royal tour of 1905-6, and the Delhi Durbar of 1911. In 1908 he set up a photographic agency called Realistic Travels, specializing in stereoscopic photography. With the outbreak of war in 1914, Girdwood returned from India and in April 1915 was given permission by the India Office to photograph the work of the Indian military hospitals in Bournemouth and Brighton. From July to September 1915 he worked in France as an official photographer to record Indian, and later British, troops in the field. In the later part of his time in France he also made ciné film of the campaign, which appeared under the title With the Empire's Fighters.
- Girdwood, Hilton DeWitt, 1878-1964 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1915.
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland--England--Brighton
- - 1915
- - Architectural decorations and ornaments
- - Architecture, Indic
- - Chandeliers
- - Great Britain. Army
- - Great Britain. Army. British Indian Army
- - Hospitals
- - Hotels
- - Islamic architecture
- - Military hospitals
- - Nurses
- - Royal Pavilion (Brighton, England)
- - Seaside resorts
- - Soldiers
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph.
- - Original resource at: The British Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Girdwood Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Architectural Decorations and Ornaments
- Architecture, Indic
- Great Britain. Army
- Great Britain. Army. British Indian Army
- Islamic Architecture
- Military Hospitals
- Royal Pavilion (Brighton, England)
- Seaside Resorts
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- World War
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Girdwood, Hilton Dewitt, Photographer. The Dome Hospital. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland England Brighton, 1915. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670743/.
APA citation style:
Girdwood, H. D. (1915) The Dome Hospital. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland England Brighton, 1915. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670743/.
MLA citation style:
Girdwood, Hilton Dewitt, Photographer. The Dome Hospital. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670743/>.