Photo, Print, Drawing Cameo with Portrait of Louis XIV.
About this Item
- Cameo with Portrait of Louis XIV.
- This cameo, in a red-tinged onyx in three layers mounted on gold and colored enamel, represents King Louis XIV as a teenager. The triumphant crown on his head is a direct reference to ancient Rome and the Roman generals. This exaltation of royal power foretells the military success of the future king. During the years of his personal reign (1661-1715), Louis XIV continually pushed out the borders of the kingdom of France to the north and east, reaching the city of Lille and several other major towns as well as the Franche-Comté region and the city of Strasbourg. He pursued a policy aimed at enlarging the country and rationalizing its borders, which were protected by the citadels of the "iron belt," built by the military engineer Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban (1633-1707), who fortified the towns conquered by the French military.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1661 to 1699]
- - France
- - 1661 to 1699
- - Cameos
- - Jewelry
- - Kings and rulers
- - Laurels
- - Louis XIV, King of France, 1638-1715
- - Portraits
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 cameo : chalcedony in 3 layers ; 49 x 45 millimeters, including mount.
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cameo with Portrait of Louis XIV. France, 1661. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670756/.
APA citation style:
(1661) Cameo with Portrait of Louis XIV. France, 1661. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670756/.
MLA citation style:
Cameo with Portrait of Louis XIV. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670756/>.