Photo, Print, Drawing Portraits of Louis the Great at Various Ages. Portraits de Louis le Grand suivant ses âges
About this Item
- Portraits of Louis the Great at Various Ages.
- Portraits de Louis le Grand suivant ses âges
- Shown here is a bronze engraving on which ten medallions are attached, each of which contains, behind a glass plate, a portrait of Louis XIV (the Sun King) at a different stage of his life. The portraits are painted in grey tones on paper glued onto metal, and they depict the king at five, ten, 16, 22, 28, 34, 40, 46, 54 and 59 years of age. The frame is crowned by the sun above a globe adorned with three lily flowers surrounded by the zodiac, with the inscription micat inter omnes (he shines among all). The background of the frame is a horn plate dyed on the back in cobalt blue, split in many places. The miniatures were painted in 1704 by Antoine Benoist (1632-1717), painter and wax sculptor of the king. This panel and its matching counterpart were sent to the Cabinet des Médailles on January 18, 1797 (29 Nivôse, Year V of the Republican calendar used in the period of the French Revolution) by Villette, chief executive of the Garde-Meuble de la Couronne, the furniture and art depository of the crown.
- Benoist, Antoine, 1632-1717 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1690 to 1704]
- - France
- - 1638 to 1690
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Kings and rulers
- - Louis XIV, King of France, 1638-1715
- - Portraits
- - Zodiac
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Horn, gilded metal, bronze, glass and paper ; 68.5 x 39 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Benoist, Antoine, Artist. Portraits of Louis the Great at Various Ages. France, 1690. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1704] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670757/.
APA citation style:
Benoist, A. (1690) Portraits of Louis the Great at Various Ages. France, 1690. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1704] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670757/.
MLA citation style:
Benoist, Antoine, Artist. Portraits of Louis the Great at Various Ages. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1704] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670757/>.