Photo, Print, Drawing Cameo with a Portrait Bust of Francis I. Francis
About this Item
- Cameo with a Portrait Bust of Francis I.
- This small cameo is engraved with a portrait bust of Francis I, from his right side, presented like a Roman emperor, wearing a crown of laurels, body armor, and a paludamentum (emperor's cloak). Francis I was king of France from 1515 to his death in 1547. The cameo is part of a collection of 63 portraits of the kings of France, all identifiable by their captions, from legendary King Pharamond to Louis XIII. The collection is held in the Museum of Coins, Medals, and Antiques at the National Library of France. The portraits are engraved in relief (embossed design) on soft shell, which appears white in the thicker areas and translucent where it is thinner. They are covered with a black tar-like paste which, by transparency, imparts blue hues or tones to the background of the cameo, making it look like onyx. While the portraits of the later kings (such as this one) copy contemporary medals, the portraits of their ancestors, both mythical and real, are mostly inspired by engravings.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1600 to 1699]
- - France
- - 1600 to 1699
- - Cameos
- - Francis I, King of France, 1494-1547
- - Jewelry
- - Kings and rulers
- - Portraits
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 cameo : shell ; 24 x 19 millimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cameo with a Portrait Bust of Francis I. France, 1600. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670760/.
APA citation style:
(1600) Cameo with a Portrait Bust of Francis I. France, 1600. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670760/.
MLA citation style:
Cameo with a Portrait Bust of Francis I. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670760/>.