Photo, Print, Drawing Joseph Joffre During an Official Visit. Joseph Joffre durante una visita ufficiale
About this Item
- Joseph Joffre During an Official Visit.
- Joseph Joffre durante una visita ufficiale
- This photograph shows General Joseph-Jacques-Césaire Joffre (1852-1931) on an official visit to Italy in 1916. France and Italy were allies at that time, as Italy had abandoned its neutrality in May 1915 by declaring war on Austria-Hungary. Joffre was commander in chief of the French armies on the Western Front in World War I from 1914 to 1916. After graduating from the École Polytechnique, the engineering school of the French Ministry of Defense, Joffre served in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71 and later in various parts of the French Empire, including Indochina, West Africa, and Madagascar. He was promoted to general of division in 1905 and appointed chief of the French general staff in 1911. Known as "the Victor of the Marne" for stopping the German invasion of France in the First Battle of the Marne (September 5--12, 1914) and preventing the capture of Paris, Joffre was forced into retirement at the end of 1916, partially discredited for the huge losses the French army had suffered in 1915 and 1916 and its lack of preparation for the German attack on the fortress of Verdun, which began in February 1916. His Mémoires, published in two volumes in 1932, contain an account of his visit to Italy.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1916.
- - France
- - Italy
- - 1916
- - Alliances
- - Generals
- - Joffre, Joseph Jacques Césaire, 1852-1931
- - Meetings
- - Military officers
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph : black-and-white.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Philippe Haudrère and Spencer C. Tucker, "Joffre, Joseph Jacques Césaire (1852-1931)," in Spencer C. Tucker, editor, 500 Great Military Leaders (Santa Barbara, California: ABC-CLIO, 2015).
- - Original resource at: Institute for the History of the Italian Risorgimento.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Joseph Joffre During an Official Visit. Italy France, 1916. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670887/.
APA citation style:
(1916) Joseph Joffre During an Official Visit. Italy France, 1916. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670887/.
MLA citation style:
Joseph Joffre During an Official Visit. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670887/>.