Photo, Print, Drawing First Centenary of the Bersaglieri. Io. centenario dei Bersaglieri
About this Item
- First Centenary of the Bersaglieri.
- Io. centenario dei Bersaglieri
- This postcard depicting a scene from World War I by Vittorio Pisani shows fighting by soldiers of the Bersaglieri (literally, "marksmen"), the elite corps of Italian infantrymen founded in 1836, initially as part of the army of the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia. Known for courage and daring in battle, the Bersaglieri were distinguished by their unique headgear: a broad-brimmed hat decorated with a flowing bunch of black grouse feathers hanging down from the right side. During World War I, most of the 21 Bersaglieri regiments saw service on the Italian Front, the 650-kilometer stretch of mainly mountainous terrain along the border with Austria-Hungary. The soldier in this postcard is seen operating a machine gun on a snowy hillside, alongside two dead or wounded comrades. Pisani was an Italian artist who in the 1930s and 1940s produced covers for the Italian magazine La Tribuna Illustrada, a weekly founded in Rome in 1890. After World War II he also produced movie posters.
- Pisani, Vittorio, 1899-1974 Illustrator.
Created / Published
- Rome : V.E. Boeri, 1936.
- - Italy
- - 1915 to 1921
- - Battles
- - Helmets
- - Infantry
- - Machine guns
- - Military uniforms
- - Soldiers
- - War casualties
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 postcard ; 8 x 14 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: John Gooch, The Italian Army and the First World War (Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press, 2014).
- - Original resource at: Institute for the History of the Italian Risorgimento.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pisani, Vittorio, Illustrator. First Centenary of the Bersaglieri. Italy, 1936. Rome: V.E. Boeri. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670894/.
APA citation style:
Pisani, V. (1936) First Centenary of the Bersaglieri. Italy, 1936. Rome: V.E. Boeri. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670894/.
MLA citation style:
Pisani, Vittorio, Illustrator. First Centenary of the Bersaglieri. Rome: V.E. Boeri. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670894/>.