Photo, Print, Drawing Concert of the Allies. Concerto degli alleati : Roma, Augusteo, febbraio 1918, a beneficio della Croce rossa dei Paesi partecipanti
About this Item
- Concert of the Allies.
- Concerto degli alleati : Roma, Augusteo, febbraio 1918, a beneficio della Croce rossa dei Paesi partecipanti
- This World War I poster from Italy advertises a concert at the Augusteo Theater in Rome in February 1918, given by military bands of the Allied countries. The poster features a winged victory, with partial views of the flags of Italy, France, Great Britain, and the United States in the background. The text explains that the concert is for the benefit of the Red Cross organizations of the participating countries. Italian war propaganda in late 1917 and 1918 frequently highlighted the importance of the Allies and the fact that Italy was not alone but was part of a grand alliance of democracies fighting to make the world safe for democracy. The intention was to counter war weariness and possible defeatism in the Italian population by underlining both the strength of the alliance and the righteousness of the Allied cause. Association with the United States was especially important to Italian propagandists. Following its entry into the war in April 1917, the United States brought vast new resources to the Allied side. President Woodrow Wilson's rhetoric and his promise to create a new and more just postwar international order also resonated with many people in Italy. The poster is by Vittorio Grassi (1878--1958), an illustrator, painter, and designer who early in his career worked for the Banca d'Italia. Grassi later co-founded the Architecture Department at the University of Rome. He created drawings and illustrations for prestigious architectural publications, as well as designed furniture, glasswork, and ceramics. He also produced posters and prints for various public agencies, including the Italian Government Tourist Board and the Italian railroad system.
- Grassi, Vittorio, 1878-1958 Artist.
Created / Published
- Milan, Italy : Bestetti and Tumminelli, 1918.
- - France
- - Italy
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- - United States of America
- - 1918
- - Concerts
- - Red Cross and Red Crescent
- - Swords
- - Victory (Symbolic character)
- - War posters
- - War relief
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print (poster) : lithograph, color ; 240 x 140 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Matteo Ermacora, "Civilian Morale," in 1914-1918-online. International Encyclopedia of the First World War, edited by Ute Daniel, Peter Gatrell, Oliver Janz, Heather Jones, Jennifer Keene, Alan Kramer, and Bill Nasson (Berlin: Freie Universität Berlin, 2014). http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/civilian_morale.|Thomas External Row, "Mobilizing the Nation: Italian Propaganda in the Great War," Journal of Decorative and Propaganda Arts, Volume 24, Design, Culture, Identity (Miami Beach, FL: Florida International University Board of Trustees on behalf of The Wolfsonian-FIU, 2002).
- - Original resource at: Library of Modern and Contemporary History.
- - Content in Italian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I Posters
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Grassi, Vittorio, Artist. Concert of the Allies. United States of America United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Italy France, 1918. Milan, Italy: Bestetti and Tumminelli. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670936/.
APA citation style:
Grassi, V. (1918) Concert of the Allies. United States of America United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Italy France, 1918. Milan, Italy: Bestetti and Tumminelli. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670936/.
MLA citation style:
Grassi, Vittorio, Artist. Concert of the Allies. Milan, Italy: Bestetti and Tumminelli. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670936/>.