Photo, Print, Drawing The Authors of the European Catastrophe Facing Civilization. Gli autori dell'ecatombe europea davanti alla civiltà
About this Item
- The Authors of the European Catastrophe Facing Civilization.
- Gli autori dell'ecatombe europea davanti alla civiltà
- This poster, published in Florence around 1915, portrays two women, personifications of Civilization and History, cursing the rulers of Germany, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, and the Ottoman Empire (Wilhelm II, Franz Joseph I, Ferdinand I, and Mehmed V, respectively), and pointing at them as responsible for the First World War. The rulers appear withered by the gazes of the women. The background shows soldiers lying dead on a battlefield and a city in flames. The strongly-worded caption below the image reads: "On the ruins, produced by the insanity of an old tyrant -- From the human charnel house, desired by an overbearing ambitious man -- The cursing cry of eternal damnation for the four executioners of humanity is rising aloud -- A cry of mothers and sons -- Weeping of widows and orphans -- The invoked victory of the defenders of Freedom has arrived -- Justice prevails -- History records the names of the barbarians, cursing them for posterity."
Created / Published
- Florence : E. Ducci, 1915.
- - Austria
- - Bulgaria
- - Germany
- - Hungary
- - Turkey
- - 1915
- - Caricatures and cartoons
- - Ferdinand I, Czar of Bulgaria, 1861-1948
- - Franz Joseph I, Emperor of Austria, 1830-1916
- - Kings and rulers
- - Mehmet V, Sultan of the Turks, 1844-1918
- - Military uniforms
- - Personification in art
- - Soldiers
- - War casualties
- - War posters
- - William II, German Emperor, 1859-1941
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print : chromolithograph ; 50 x 69 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Alessandrina Library.
- - Content in Italian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Authors of the European Catastrophe Facing Civilization. Turkey Hungary Austria Germany Bulgaria, 1915. Florence: E. Ducci. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670942/.
APA citation style:
(1915) The Authors of the European Catastrophe Facing Civilization. Turkey Hungary Austria Germany Bulgaria, 1915. Florence: E. Ducci. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670942/.
MLA citation style:
The Authors of the European Catastrophe Facing Civilization. Florence: E. Ducci. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670942/>.