Photo, Print, Drawing Great Festivals and Fairs in Valencia in 1913. Grandes fiestas y ferias en Valencia 1913
About this Item
- Great Festivals and Fairs in Valencia in 1913.
- Grandes fiestas y ferias en Valencia 1913
- Honorio Romero Orozco (1867--1920) was a Valencian artist who specialized in portraits and landscapes (mainly rural scenes). He also painted scenes with ships and produced posters such as this one, announcing the most important festival of the city: the Gran Feria de Valencia (Great Valencia Fair). The fair was inaugurated by the Valencian City Hall on July 21, 1871. It was an initiative by the city's business community intended to encourage Valencians to spend their summer vacations in the city, where they could attend such special events as Boy Scout jamborees, horseback riding events, parades, livestock shows, plant exhibitions, flower shows, musical contests, and so forth. The nobility and the upper-middle class soon started taking part in the celebration, setting up pavilions in which to hold balls and other events in the evenings. The celebration is still held in Valencia throughout July. The Valencian Autonomous Community has a long-standing poster tradition that started with the arrival of the first posters in the 19th century. The Valencian Library holds a vast collection of visual material that includes prints, photographs, posters, postcards, maps, drawings and other minor printed ephemera. Among these items is a collection of more than 11,000 posters from the last quarter of the 19th century to the present.
- Romero Orozco, Honorio, 1867-1920 Artist.
Created / Published
- Valencia : E. Mirabet, 1913.
- - Spain--Valencia (Region)--Valencia
- - 1913-07
- - Celebrations
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Fairs
- - Personification in art
- - Posters
- - Roses
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print (poster) ; 100 x 50 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Valencian Library Nicolau Primitiu.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Romero Orozco, Honorio, Artist. Great Festivals and Fairs in Valencia in. Valencia Valencia Region Spain, 1913. Valencia: E. Mirabet. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670969/.
APA citation style:
Romero Orozco, H. (1913) Great Festivals and Fairs in Valencia in. Valencia Valencia Region Spain, 1913. Valencia: E. Mirabet. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670969/.
MLA citation style:
Romero Orozco, Honorio, Artist. Great Festivals and Fairs in Valencia in. Valencia: E. Mirabet. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670969/>.