Photo, Print, Drawing Children's Love for Fruit. Very Finest Oranges Packed by Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent, Castellón (Spain). Children's Love for Fruit. Very Finest Oranges Packed by Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent Castellón (Spain)
About this Item
- Children's Love for Fruit. Very Finest Oranges Packed by Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent, Castellón (Spain).
- Children's Love for Fruit. Very Finest Oranges Packed by Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent Castellón (Spain)
- In the middle of the 19th century, Valencian merchants began to export oranges to the main markets in Europe. Consumption spread to many countries, which triggered an increase in production in the Valencian Autonomous Community. This popularity led to the proliferation of various brands by which farmers and merchants sought to draw attention to their products. Wonderful labels and distinctive posters were the key to penetrating new markets. In many cases, labels and posters were in English, French, or German. Many of the labels of this time feature regional themes, both Valencian and Andalusian, such as laborers, flamenco dancers and Valencian women in traditional dress, bullfighters, and small farmhouses. The idea was to associate the production of oranges with Spanish culture. The artists and the exact date of most of these designs are unknown, but these illustrations made the Valencian orange easily identifiable all over Europe. Most of the labels give the name of the exporter and the place of origin of the produce. The Valencian Library holds a vast collection of visual material that includes prints, photographs, posters, postcards, maps, drawings, and other minor printed ephemera. The collection of ephemera spans from 1900 to the present. It consists of 36,500 documents, which include labels for oranges, ex libris, cigarette paper packs, calendars, transport tickets, greeting cards, handbills, and so forth. It includes 416 painted images dating from 1920-60 used as labels for crates of oranges for export to various countries in Europe.
- Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent Creator.
Created / Published
- Valencia : V. Ferrandis, [1900 to 1930]
- - Spain--Castellón
- - 1900 to 1930
- - Advertising
- - Children
- - Citrus fruits
- - Orange industry
- - Oranges
- - Walls
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print (label) : color ; 20 x 26 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Valencian Library Nicolau Primitiu.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent Creator. Children's Love for Fruit. Very Finest Oranges Packed by Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent, Castellón Spain. Castellón Spain, 1900. [Valencia: V. Ferrandis, to 1930] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670971/.
APA citation style:
Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent Creator. (1900) Children's Love for Fruit. Very Finest Oranges Packed by Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent, Castellón Spain. Castellón Spain, 1900. [Valencia: V. Ferrandis, to 1930] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670971/.
MLA citation style:
Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent Creator. Children's Love for Fruit. Very Finest Oranges Packed by Muñoz-Arnau-Avinent, Castellón Spain. [Valencia: V. Ferrandis, to 1930] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670971/>.