Photo, Print, Drawing Valencia. Market. Valencia. Mercado
About this Item
- Valencia. Market.
- Valencia. Mercado
- Lucien Roisin was a Barcelona-based photographer, originally from Paris. His works are of great importance due to the range of his output--he took photographs all over Spain--and their chronological span, from the beginning of the 20th century, especially the 1920s, to the 1950s. Roisin is mostly known as a postcard publisher and owner of his own business on the Ramblas of Barcelona: La casa de la Postal (The Postcard House). His postcards are the testimony of the dramatic changes the country went through in his lifetime: survival in turbulent times, the disappearance of rural life, the growth of towns and increases in population, industrialization, and tourism. His images memorialized the transformation of landscapes and customs. Shown here is the Central Market of the city of Valencia, a modernist construction that was designed in 1914 by Francesc Guàrdia i Vial and Alexandre Soler i March. Both trained at the School of Architecture of Barcelona and were members of the team assembled by the notable architect Lluís Domènech i Montaner. The market was completed in 1928 under the direction of Enrique Herrera-Viedma and was inaugurated by King Alphonse XIII. Located at the Market Square, opposite the Silk Exchange, the Central Market is not only the largest market in Europe specialized in fresh produce; it was also the first market in the world to have embraced the challenge of fully computerizing its sales and delivery services, which it did on October 2, 1996. The Valencian Library holds a vast collection of visual material that includes prints, photographs, posters, postcards, maps, drawings, and other minor printed ephemera, including more than 45,000 postcards dating from 1873 to the present. The postcards in the collection of the Valencian Library mostly are views of cities, monuments, urban squares, and everyday scenes. Most are printed by collotype.
- Roisin Besnard, Lucien, 1876-1942 Photographer.
Created / Published
- Barcelona : L. Roisin, 1928.
- - Spain--Valencia (Region)--Valencia
- - 1928
- - Arches
- - Architecture, Modern
- - Commercial buildings
- - Food vendors
- - Markets
- - Postcards
- - Public buildings
- - Street scenes
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph (postcard) : color ; 9 x 14 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Valencian Library Nicolau Primitiu.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roisin Besnard, Lucien, Photographer. Valencia. Market. Valencia Valencia Region Spain, 1928. Barcelona: L. Roisin. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670973/.
APA citation style:
Roisin Besnard, L. (1928) Valencia. Market. Valencia Valencia Region Spain, 1928. Barcelona: L. Roisin. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021670973/.
MLA citation style:
Roisin Besnard, Lucien, Photographer. Valencia. Market. Barcelona: L. Roisin. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021670973/>.