Photo, Print, Drawing Baalbek. General View of the Ruins, from the South-West. Baalbek. General view of the ruins, from the south-west
About this Item
- Baalbek. General View of the Ruins, from the South-West.
- Baalbek. General view of the ruins, from the south-west
- Presented here is one of 30 views of Syria and Lebanon in Bedford's Photographic Pictures: Syria, taken by the English photographer Francis Bedford (1816--1894) in the spring of 1862, when he accompanied Albert Edward, Prince of Wales and future King Edward VII (1841--1910; reigned 1901--10) on his voyage to the Mediterranean, Egypt, the Holy Land, and Syria. Included in the album are views of Damascus and the ruins at Baalbek in Syria and scenes in Tripoli and Beirut in Lebanon. Bedford was trained as an artist and worked as a lithographer before turning to photography in 1853. In January 1854, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert bought examples of his work at the first annual exhibition of the Royal Photographic Society. The royal couple subsequently commissioned Bedford to photograph works of art from the Royal Collection, and the queen commissioned him to travel to Germany to photograph scenes associated with her husband's childhood in Coburg. On the trip with the royal party to the Mediterranean and the Middle East in 1862, Bedford took more than 200 negatives. Bedford was the first, and most likely the only, official photographer to accompany a British royal tour in the 19th century. A selection of his photographs from the trip later was shown in London at the German Gallery, Bond Street, and published in a series of albums by Day & Son.
- Bedford, Francis, 1816-1894 Photographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1862-05-03.
- - Lebanon--Baalbek-Hermel--Baalbek
- - 1862-05-03
- - Antiquities
- - Columns
- - Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1841-1910
- - Ruins
- - Temples
- - Temples, Roman
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 photograph : black-and-white, albumen ; 23.5 x 28.3 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Roger Taylor, "Bedford, Francis (1815--1894)," in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 2004).|Sophie Gordon and Badr El Hage, Cities, Citadels, and Sights of the Near East: Francis Bedford's Nineteenth-Century Photographs of Egypt, the Levant, and Constantinople (Cairo and New York: The American University in Cairo Press, 2014).
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bedford, Francis, Photographer. Baalbek. General View of the Ruins, from the South-West. Baalbek-Hermel Lebanon Baalbek, 1862. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -05-03] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671052/.
APA citation style:
Bedford, F. (1862) Baalbek. General View of the Ruins, from the South-West. Baalbek-Hermel Lebanon Baalbek, 1862. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -05-03] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671052/.
MLA citation style:
Bedford, Francis, Photographer. Baalbek. General View of the Ruins, from the South-West. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -05-03] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021671052/>.