Audio Recording Welcome to Rainbow Springs.
Welcome to Rainbow Springs
About this Item
- Welcome to Rainbow Springs.
- "Welcome to Rainbow Springs" is an example of the traditional tour guide performances delivered by guides at Florida's natural springs, which were the first tourist attractions widely promoted in the state's long history as a tourist destination. The speech is part welcome message, part folk song, and part tall tale, and demonstrates how African Americans were integral to the early tourist trade in Florida. The performance style is evocative of the minstrel songs and theatricals of earlier years. Rainbow Springs boat captain Skipper Lockett gives his recitation while conducting a glass bottom boat tour. This piece was recorded on May 4, 1956 by Foster Barnes of the Stephen Foster Center at the 1956 Florida Folk Festival in White Springs.
- Barnes, Foster, 1903-1972 Recording Engineer.
- Lockett, Manning (Skipper), 1900-1968 Speaker.
Created / Published
- [White Springs, Florida] : [publisher not identified], 1956-05-04.
- - United States of America--Florida--Rainbow Springs
- - 1956
- - African Americans
- - Description and travel
- - Folk songs
- - Folklore
- - Rainbow River
- - Tour guides (Persons)
- - Tourism
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Audio recording reel.
- - Original resource at: State Library and Archives of Florida.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Barnes, Foster, Recording Engineer, and Manning Lockett. Welcome to Rainbow Springs. [White Springs, Florida: publisher not identified, -05-04, 1956] Audio. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671077/.
APA citation style:
Barnes, F. & Lockett, M. (1956) Welcome to Rainbow Springs. [White Springs, Florida: publisher not identified, -05-04] [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671077/.
MLA citation style:
Barnes, Foster, Recording Engineer, and Manning Lockett. Welcome to Rainbow Springs. [White Springs, Florida: publisher not identified, -05-04, 1956] Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021671077/>.