Film, Video Wakulla Springs and World War II Troop Maneuvers.
About this Item
- Wakulla Springs and World War II Troop Maneuvers.
- In this 1940s film, made in northwest Florida in color but without sound, U.S. Army troops practice slogging through a cypress swamp, make a human chain across the river, crawl on their bellies, and use weeds and Spanish moss for camouflage. The troops fire machine guns, shoot from trees, and swim in an assault across the river. As the troops hit the shore, smoke screens are seen and explosions hit the water. Other shots show a machine-gun team on shore, followed by scenes of the troops swimming with bamboo poles as floats. Troops with guns and helmets practice ducking under the water as they swim across the river, and float gear using tent canvas and poles for rafts. An amphibious vehicle tows troops in the water. Soldiers jump from a tower, swim through flames on the water, set off smoke bombs, and swim through more flames. They also practice jumping from the deck of a rusty derelict ship (possibly at Carrabelle). The action then moves back to Wakulla for soldiers posing in camouflage uniforms and more wading across the river.
Created / Published
- [Florida] : [publisher not identified], [1940 to 1949]
- - United States of America--Florida--Wakulla Springs
- - 1940 to 1949
- - Military maneuvers
- - Soldiers
- - Swamps
- - United States. Army
- - World War, 1939-1945
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 16:39 minutes; color; silent.
- - Original resource at: State Library and Archives of Florida.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wakulla Springs and World War II Troop Maneuvers. [Florida: publisher not identified, to 1949, 1940] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671086/.
APA citation style:
(1940) Wakulla Springs and World War II Troop Maneuvers. [Florida: publisher not identified, to 1949] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671086/.
MLA citation style:
Wakulla Springs and World War II Troop Maneuvers. [Florida: publisher not identified, to 1949, 1940] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021671086/>.