Film, Video Bouncing Baby.
About this Item
- Bouncing Baby.
- The film Bouncing Baby, featured here, is a prime example of the works produced by the Vim Comedy Company in Jacksonville, Florida, during the early years of silent films. Favorable weather, political support, and cheap real estate and labor helped to make Jacksonville a major center for motion picture production in this period. The mayor of Jacksonville in 1915-17, J.E.T. Bowden, set out to restore business confidence in northeastern Florida after a recessionary slump and extended an open invitation "to the moving picture fraternity of this country" to relocate to his city. Film companies at first thrived in Jacksonville's hospitable climate, but citizens and government officials grew tired of the studios, whose stunts--such as unannounced car chases, or falsely reporting fires in order to film the response--threatened public safety. In 1917, John W. Martin was elected mayor on a platform to curtail the film industry. By this time, Hollywood, California, offered a more viable location and much of the American film industry moved west. The Vim Comedy Company, founded in late 1915 by Louis Burstein and Mark Dintenfass, typified the short-lived studios of the movie boom in Florida. Vim employed many intriguing personalities and made 156 one-reel films in 1916 alone. In the same year, Vim also created a series of 35 slapstick comedies starring Oliver "Babe" Hardy and Billy Ruge entitled "Plump and Runt," which occasionally included cameos by Ethel Burton. Other regulars with the company were Harry Meyers, Rosemary Thebe, Kate Price, and Billy Bletcher and his wife Arline Roberts. Including casts, directors, camera crew (known at the time as "knights of the crank"), and administrative personnel, the Vim Southern Studio in Jacksonville employed nearly 50 people in 1916, with a regular weekly payroll of approximately ,800. Production at Vim studios came to a halt in 1917 after Oliver Hardy discovered that Burstein and Dintenfass both were stealing from the payroll.
- Hardy, Oliver, 1892-1957 Associated Name.
- Nikelodeon Films Producer.
- Vim Comedy Company Associated Name.
Created / Published
- [Jacksonville, Florida] : [publisher not identified], 1916.
- - United States of America--Florida--Jacksonville
- - 1916
- - Comedy films
- - Street scenes
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 12:12 minutes : black and white, silent ; 1 reel.
- - Original resource at: State Library and Archives of Florida.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hardy, Oliver, Associated Name, Nikelodeon Films Producer, and Vim Comedy Company Associated Name. Bouncing Baby. [Jacksonville, Florida: publisher not identified, 1916] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671090/.
APA citation style:
Hardy, O., Nikelodeon Films Producer & Vim Comedy Company Associated Name. (1916) Bouncing Baby. [Jacksonville, Florida: publisher not identified] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671090/.
MLA citation style:
Hardy, Oliver, Associated Name, Nikelodeon Films Producer, and Vim Comedy Company Associated Name. Bouncing Baby. [Jacksonville, Florida: publisher not identified, 1916] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021671090/>.