Book/Printed Material Tsar's Ratification of the Alaska Purchase Treaty.
About this Item
- Tsar's Ratification of the Alaska Purchase Treaty.
- The original treaty for the purchase of Alaska by the United States from the Russian Empire, written in parallel columns in French and English, is presented here with the signatures of U.S. secretary of state William H. Seward and the Russian minister to the United States, Eduard de Stoeckl. The diplomatic language of the Russian imperial court was French, so there was no official Russian version of the treaty. The Russian tsar, Alexander II, affixed his signature at the end of this copy of the treaty following a short commentary on his ratification in Russian. This version includes a lengthy listing of the tsar's historical titles in Russian on the first page, which is absent in the American copy. Following consent by the U.S. Senate, President Andrew Johnson signed an equivalent ratification on June 20, 1867. The subsequent Certificate of Exchange noted minor textual changes in the English and French versions of the treaty. The U.S. House of Representatives failed to appropriate funds for the Alaska Purchase for more than a year, on account of internal American political opposition and the impeachment proceedings against President Andrew Johnson. Alaska became United States territory on October 18, 1867. The U.S. government finally issued a treasury warrant to Russia for payment for Alaska on August 1, 1868.
- Alexander II, Emperor of Russia, 1818-1881, signer.
- Russia Associated Name.
- Seward, William H. (William Henry), 1801-1872, signer.
- Stoeckl, Eduard de, baron Signer.
- United States Associated Name.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1867-03-30.
- - Russian Federation
- - United States of America--Alaska
- - 1867-03-30
- - Alaska -- Annexation to the United States
- - Alexander II, Emperor of Russia, 1818-1881
- - Boundaries
- - Foreign relations
- - International law
- - Treaties
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
- - Content in English and French and Russian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Alexander Ii, Emperor Of Russia, Signer, Russia Associated Name, William H Seward, Eduard De Stoeckl, and United States Associated Name. Tsar's Ratification of the Alaska Purchase Treaty. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -03-30, 1867] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671095/.
APA citation style:
Alexander Ii, E. O. R., Russia Associated Name, Seward, W. H., Stoeckl, E. D. & United States Associated Name. (1867) Tsar's Ratification of the Alaska Purchase Treaty. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -03-30] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021671095/.
MLA citation style:
Alexander Ii, Emperor Of Russia, Signer, et al. Tsar's Ratification of the Alaska Purchase Treaty. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -03-30, 1867] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021671095/>.