Film, Video Kim Jong-il and North Korean Films
About this Item
- Kim Jong-il and North Korean Films
- Suk-Young Kim, a fellow at the John W. Kluge Center, Library of Congress, presents a program that provides insight on North Korean culture, politics and the leadership of Kim Jong-il titled "Kim Jong-il and North Korean Film." The world's understanding of Kim Jong-il is often linked to his personal obsession with film, but little is known about how and why film serves as a window through which the outside world can glimpse the enigmatic North Korean leader. The talk explores Kim Jong-il's relationship with film on various levels, such as the filial duty to protect his father's legacy and desire to gain political capital through artistic achievement on both domestic and international fronts. Rarely seen film clips???selected from a wide variety of genres, such as political propaganda, family melodrama, musical, children's animation and Hong Kong-style martial arts films??? are shown.
- Library of Congress
- John W. Kluge Center (Library of Congress), sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2007-06-26.
- - Biography, History
- - Culture, Performing Arts
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Culture, Folklife
- - Government, Law
- - Classification: General Works.
- - Classification: Political Science.
- - Suk-Young Kim.
- - Recorded on 2007-06-26.
- - Researchers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. Kim Jong-il and North Korean Films. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-26, 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687522/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & John W. Kluge Center, S. B. (2007) Kim Jong-il and North Korean Films. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-26. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687522/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. Kim Jong-il and North Korean Films. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-26, 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021687522/>.