Film, Video Images of Early African American Life
About this Item
- Images of Early African American Life
- Photographic images of African American life at the turn of the 20th century were the subject of a talk by historians David Levering Lewis and Deborah Willis. Their book, "A Small Nation of People: W.E.B. Du Bois & African American Portraits of Progress" (Amistad, 2003), is based on the Library?s collection of photographs showcased in "The Exhibit of American Negroes" at the 1900 Paris International Exposition.
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Center for the Book, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2003-10-29.
- - African American History
- - Culture, Folklife
- - Literature
- - Performing Arts, Music
- - Biography, History
- - Deborah Willis, David Levering Lewis.
- - Recorded on 2003-10-29.
- - Kids, Families.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Center For The Book. Images of Early African American Life. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-29, 2003. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687585/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Center For The Book, S. B. (2003) Images of Early African American Life. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-29. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687585/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Center For The Book. Images of Early African American Life. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-29, 2003. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021687585/>.