Film, Video Denise Levertov Reads Her Poetry Denise Levertov
About this Item
- Denise Levertov Reads Her Poetry
- Denise Levertov
- Denise Levertov (1923-1997) was born in Ilford, Essex, England. Educated entirely at home, she became a civilian nurse in World War II, serving in London throughout the bombings. Levertov emigrated to the United States in 1941. She received early encouragement and guidance from T.S. Eliot, Robert Creeley, William Carlos Williams and Kenneth Rexroth. In 1956, she became a U. S. citizen. During the 1960s and the Vietnam War, activism and feminism became prominent in her poetry. From 1975 to 1978, she was poetry editor of Mother Jones magazine. Twenty-three books of her poetry were published in her lifetime beginning with Double Image in 1946 and ending with The Stream & the Sapphire: Selected Poems on Religious Themes in 1997.
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Poetry and Literature Center, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1988-05-27.
- - Literature
- - Performing Arts, Music
- - Poetry
- - Denise Levertov.
- - Recorded on 1988-05-27.
- - Kids, Families.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center. Denise Levertov Reads Her Poetry. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-27, 1988. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687667/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center, S. B. (1988) Denise Levertov Reads Her Poetry. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-27. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687667/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Poetry And Literature Center. Denise Levertov Reads Her Poetry. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-27, 1988. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021687667/>.