Film, Video Why Terrorist Ideologies are So Powerful
About this Item
- Why Terrorist Ideologies are So Powerful
- Sociologist Neil J. Smelser presented a lecture titled "Why Are Terrorist Ideologies So Powerful." Smelser occupies the chair of the Countries and Cultures of the North in the Library's John W. Kluge Center, which sponsored the lecture. In his talk, Smelser goes beyond contemporary radical Islamic-inspired ideologies to cover extremist ideologies in general, some of which combine to generate terrorist activities. He discusses several subtopics on how ideologies can be a unique mix of meaningful cultural change and a way of assigning responsibility and blame. He talks about themes of ambivalence in ideologies, the rationalization of ideologies and the confrontation of terrorist and counter-terrorist ideologies.
- Library of Congress
- John W. Kluge Center (Library of Congress), sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2006-11-29.
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Religion
- - War, Military
- - Classification: General Works.
- - Classification: Philosophy, Psychology, Religion.
- - Neil Smelser.
- - Recorded on 2006-11-29.
- - Researchers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. Why Terrorist Ideologies are So Powerful. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -11-29, 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687798/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & John W. Kluge Center, S. B. (2006) Why Terrorist Ideologies are So Powerful. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -11-29. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687798/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. Why Terrorist Ideologies are So Powerful. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -11-29, 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021687798/>.