Film, Video The End of European Colonial Empires
About this Item
- The End of European Colonial Empires
- One of the great themes of 20th century history is the end of European colonial empires. William Roger Louis, founding director of the National History Center, discussed the topic in a lecture sponsored by the Library's John W. Kluge Center and the National History Center, and was presented in conjunction with the History Center's Second International Research Seminar on Decolonization, held in Washington, D.C., from July 9 through Aug. 4. The lecture, titled "The End of European Colonial Empires," examined the creation of post-colonial states in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean. What was the nature of European colonial rule? What are the legacies of the British, French, Dutch, German, Belgian, Portuguese and Spanish colonial systems?
- Library of Congress
- John W. Kluge Center (Library of Congress), sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2007-07-10.
- - Biography, History
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Classification: General Works.
- - Classification: Geography, Anthropology, Recreation.
- - Classification: History (General) and History of Europe.
- - William Roger Louis.
- - Recorded on 2007-07-10.
- - Researchers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. The End of European Colonial Empires. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-10, 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687876/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & John W. Kluge Center, S. B. (2007) The End of European Colonial Empires. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-10. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687876/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. The End of European Colonial Empires. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-10, 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021687876/>.