Film, Video America in the Middle East" by Michael Oren
About this Item
- America in the Middle East" by Michael Oren
- America and the Middle East have been intertwined for more than 230 years -- the first war fought by the newly independent United States was against Arabic-speaking Muslims, George Washington had a Middle East policy and Thomas Jefferson listed America's relations with the region as his No. 1 international concern. Even iconic literary figures such as Herman Melville, Washington Irving and Mark Twain were singularly interested in the region. In his new book, Michael B. Oren argues that Americans today still have a poor understanding of their connection with the region. Oren discussed and signed his book "Power, Faith and Fantasy: America in the Middle East 1776 to the Present" at the Library of Congress in a program sponsored by the Center for the Book. The author used many Library collections in writing his widely praised volume, including the papers of Amin Rihani, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Henry Morgenthau, James M. Landis, Oscar Straus and Jefferson. Oren discussed the book soon after its original publication in a popular presentation at the 2007 National Book Festival.
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Center for the Book, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2008-02-07.
- - Biography, History
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Culture, Folklife
- - Government, Law
- - Presidents
- - Religion
- - War, Military
- - Classification: General Works.
- - Classification: Geography, Anthropology, Recreation.
- - Classification: History (General) and History of Europe.
- - Classification: History: America.
- - Classification: Political Science.
- - Michael Oren.
- - Recorded on 2008-02-07.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Center For The Book. America in the Middle East" by Michael Oren. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -02-07, 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687927/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Center For The Book, S. B. (2008) America in the Middle East" by Michael Oren. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -02-07. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687927/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Center For The Book. America in the Middle East" by Michael Oren. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -02-07, 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021687927/>.