Film, Video Charles Simic on the Art of Translation
About this Item
- Charles Simic on the Art of Translation
- Charles Simic will make the final appearance of his tenure as U.S. Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry when he presents a lecture on poetry translation at the Library of Congress. The position of Poet Laureate is limited to a one or two-year term. Simic did not wish to be considered for a second year, as he wants to devote more time to the writing of poetry. Librarian of Congress James H. Billington said, "We are very sorry to say farewell to Charlie Simic, but deeply appreciate his service to the Library and the nation." Simic said, "I've thoroughly enjoyed this past year. The best part of being Poet Laureate of the United States is working with the fine, dedicated and learned people at the Library. Of all of our venerable national institutions, this is one of the best."
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Literary Initiatives Office, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2008-05-08.
- - Literature
- - Group name: Poets Laureate. 46
- - Classification: Fine Arts.
- - Classification: Language and Literature.
- - Charles Simic.
- - Recorded on 2008-05-08.
- - Kids, Families.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Literary Initiatives Office. Charles Simic on the Art of Translation. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-08, 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687975/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Literary Initiatives Office, S. B. (2008) Charles Simic on the Art of Translation. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-08. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021687975/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Literary Initiatives Office. Charles Simic on the Art of Translation. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-08, 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021687975/>.