Film, Video Was Madison an Original Thinker?
About this Item
- Was Madison an Original Thinker?
- Gary Rosen discussed the nature of James Madison's political philosophy at this symposium celebrating the 250th anniversary of Madison's birth. It is said that he is a liberal or a republican, a nationalist or an advocate of states' rights, a follower of the "court" party or of its "country" rival. Taxonomies seldom do justice to individuals, and this is especially true when dealing with a thinker of Madison's depth. Madison was more than just a supremely capable politician and legislator. He was a self-consciously philosophical statesman, one who freely related the issues of his day to a wider theory of politics.
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Manuscript Division, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2001-03-16.
- - Biography, History
- - Government, World Affairs
- - james Madison, history, presidents, bill of rights, james madison symposium, james madison commemoration commission
- - Group name: James Madison Symposium.
- - Classification: History: America.
- - Classification: Political Science.
- - Gary Rosen.
- - Recorded on 2001-03-16.
- - Librarians, Archivists.
- - Researchers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Manuscript Division. Was Madison an Original Thinker?. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -03-16, 2001. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688077/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Manuscript Division, S. B. (2001) Was Madison an Original Thinker?. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -03-16. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688077/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Manuscript Division. Was Madison an Original Thinker?. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -03-16, 2001. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688077/>.