Film, Video The Kislak Pirates Symposium: Panel I, part 2.
About this Item
- The Kislak Pirates Symposium: Panel I, part 2.
- Within some 50 years of its discovery, the Americas became a great and growing source of wealth for the Spanish crown. Silks, spices, precious metals and gems flowed across the Pacific to Mexico and Panama as silver and gold were transported across the Gulf of Mexico from Cuba to Spain. Pirates and privateers preyed on these vessels, often as commissioned agents sent out against the enemies of their sovereigns or as renegades for their own personal gain. An all-day symposium, "Pirates and Corsairs of the Americas in History and Literature," was sponsored by the Rare Book and Special Collections Division and the Hispanic Division, in conjunction with the "Exploring the Early Americas" exhibition. Finishing out Panel I was featured speaker Peter Earle who discussed "The British Navy and the War Against the Pirates."
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Hispanic Division, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2007-12-08.
- - Biography, History
- - Education
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Government, Law
- - War, Military
- - Group name: Pirates and Corsairs of the Americas in History and Literature.
- - Classification: General Works.
- - Classification: Geography, Anthropology, Recreation.
- - Classification: History (General) and History of Europe.
- - Classification: Naval Science.
- - Peter Earle.
- - Recorded on 2007-12-08.
- - Researchers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Hispanic Division. The Kislak Pirates Symposium: Panel I, part 2. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -12-08, 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688148/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Hispanic Division, S. B. (2007) The Kislak Pirates Symposium: Panel I, part 2. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -12-08. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688148/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Hispanic Division. The Kislak Pirates Symposium: Panel I, part 2. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -12-08, 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688148/>.