Film, Video Rajput Maharajas Conference (Afternoon)
About this Item
- Rajput Maharajas Conference (Afternoon)
- Rajput maharajas have ruled hundreds of places throughout northern India, not just Rajasthan. The Rathor clan of Rajputs, headed by the Maharaja of Jodhpur, ruled states in Central India (Alirajpur, Jhabua, Jobat, Ratlam, Sailana, Sitamau), Eastern States Agency (Seraikela), Rajasthan (Bikaner, Jodhpur, Kishangarh, Kushalgarh), and Western India (Idar, Malpur). The speakers include the son and grand-daughter of the Maharaja of Dhrangadhra, who heads the Jhala clan of Rajputs. Jhalas ruled states in Western India (Chuda, Halvad-Dhrangadhra, Limbdi, Laktar, Limbdi, Sayla, Wadhwan,and Wankaner) and in Rajasthan (Jhalawar) and were also in Central India. The program also includes talks dealing with Maharaja Gaj Singh II and Maharaja Ganga Singh, two of the greatest Rajputs of the 20th century. The conference reveals why the romantic image of the Rajputs seduced both the tourists of today and a British political agent almost 200 years ago. The current controversy over a Bollywood film about a Rajput princess was also addressed.
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Asian Division, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2008-10-17.
- - Biography, History
- - Culture, Performing Arts
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Culture, Folklife
- - Government, Law
- - Group name: Rajput Maharajas Conference.
- - Classification: Geography, Anthropology, Recreation.
- - Classification: Political Science.
- - Various.
- - Recorded on 2008-10-17.
- - Researchers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Asian Division. Rajput Maharajas Conference Afternoon. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-17, 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688173/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Asian Division, S. B. (2008) Rajput Maharajas Conference Afternoon. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-17. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688173/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Asian Division. Rajput Maharajas Conference Afternoon. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-17, 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688173/>.