Film, Video ASCAP Collection Concert
About this Item
- ASCAP Collection Concert
- The stories of, and back stories behind, several beloved songs were laid out for a most entertained audience May 11 as the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) Foundation brought forward an evening of songs sung by ASCAP's member songwriters at the Library of Congress Coolidge Auditorium. The offering the second annual "We Write the Songs" event held at the Library in conjunction with the ASCAP Foundation's gift to the Library of its vast papers in 2009 had nearly 500 audience members standing, cheering and singing along by the evening's end. Program:, Introduction by James H. Billington, Librarian of Congress (0:30) Congressman John Conyers (D-MI) introduces Paul Williams (5:10), Paul Williams - General introduction and remarks (7:30) Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) introduces J.D. Souther (14:10), J.D. Souther performs "Heartache Tonight" and "You're Only Lonely" (16:00) Ted Deutch (D-FL) introduces Dion DiMucci (29:10), Dion DiMucci performs "Runaround Sue," and "The Wanderer" (30:25) Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) introduces Jessi Alexander and Wayland Hollyfield (43:15), Wayland Hollyfield performs "Could I Have This Dance" (47:10), Jessi Alexander performs "The Climb" (52:30) Barbara Boxer introduced Alan Bergman (D-CA) (58:10), Alan Bergman performs "The Windmills In Your Mind" and "The Way We Were"(1:01:05) Howard Berman (D-CA) introduces Hal David (1:13:00), Hal David performs "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" (1:15:15) Hal David introduces Albert Hammond (1:19:05), Albert Hammond and Hal David perform "To All the Girls I've Loved Before" (1:20:10), Albert Hammond performs "It Never Rains in Southern California" (1:25:30) Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) introduces Bill Withers (1:28:15), Bill Withers speaks and performs "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" and "Lean On Me" (1:30:15)
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Music Division, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2010-05-11.
- - Culture, Performing Arts
- - Performing Arts, Music
- - Classification: Music and Books on Music.
- - Jessi Alexander, Hal David, Albert Hammond, Bill Withers, Wayland Holyfield, Alan Bergman, Paul Williams, J.D. Souther.
- - Recorded on 2010-05-11.
- - Kids, Families.
- - Researchers.
- - Visitors.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Music Division. ASCAP Collection Concert. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-11, 2010. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688457/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Music Division, S. B. (2010) ASCAP Collection Concert. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-11. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688457/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Music Division. ASCAP Collection Concert. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-11, 2010. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688457/>.