Film, Video The European Colonial Empires in Asia and Africa
About this Item
- The European Colonial Empires in Asia and Africa
- Historian William Roger Louis surveys the differences and similarities in European colonial empires from the 19th century to the post-World-War-II era. By 1914, Europe controlled some 85 percent of the world's surface. The British Empire alone extended over one quarter of the globe. There were profound contrasts, however, among the Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, French, German, Italian and British colonial systems, with regard to political and religious cultures and social and economic organizations. The legacy of empire in different regions endures to the present.
- Library of Congress
- John W. Kluge Center (Library of Congress), sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2010-07-12.
- - Biography, History
- - Classification: Geography, Anthropology, Recreation.
- - Classification: History (General) and History of Europe.
- - William Louis.
- - Recorded on 2010-07-12.
- - Kids, Families.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. The European Colonial Empires in Asia and Africa. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-12, 2010. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688499/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & John W. Kluge Center, S. B. (2010) The European Colonial Empires in Asia and Africa. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-12. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688499/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. The European Colonial Empires in Asia and Africa. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-12, 2010. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688499/>.