Film, Video Rare Revolutionary War-Era Map: David Rubenstein Gift
About this Item
- Rare Revolutionary War-Era Map: David Rubenstein Gift
- David M. Rubenstein, co-founder and managing director of The Carlyle Group, has given the Library of Congress stewardship of the first map printed in North America, depicting the boundaries of the new American nation and showing the "Stars and Stripes" for the first time. Abel Buell's map "A New and Correct Map of the United States of North America Layd Down from the Latest Observations and Best Authorities Agreeable to the Peace of 1783" is the first to be copyrighted in the United States and was published only six months after the Treaty of Paris signing (Sept. 3, 1783) ended the Revolutionary War.
- Library of Congress
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2011-01-31.
- - Biography, History
- - Maps
- - Classification: History: America.
- - Dr. James Billington, David Rubenstein.
- - Recorded on 2011-01-31.
- - Librarians, Archivists.
- - Researchers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress. Rare Revolutionary War-Era Map: David Rubenstein Gift. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -01-31, 2011. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688597/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress. (2011) Rare Revolutionary War-Era Map: David Rubenstein Gift. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -01-31. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688597/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress. Rare Revolutionary War-Era Map: David Rubenstein Gift. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -01-31, 2011. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688597/>.