Film, Video Creating the Parisian Café, 1660-1800
About this Item
- Creating the Parisian Café, 1660-1800
- The Parisian Café is part of the essence of Paris and a symbol for a certain French way of life. How did coffeehouses and café culture get started in France? What did early Parisian cafés look like? Why did they become so popular so quickly? Tracking how history, myth and anecdote have molded Parisian cafés into emblems of modernity, Thierry Rigogne transports us back to Old Regime and revolutionary Paris in order to trace the formation and the early history of an institution that stood at the crossroads between commerce, culture and consumption, politics, literature and globalization.
- Library of Congress
- John W. Kluge Center (Library of Congress), sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2012-04-12.
- - Biography, History
- - Culture, Performing Arts
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Cities, Towns
- - Culture, Folklife
- - Literature
- - Paris, France, café, Thierry Rigogne
- - Classification: History (General) and History of Europe.
- - Classification: Language and Literature.
- - Classification: Political Science.
- - Classification: Social Sciences.
- - Thierry Rigogne.
- - Recorded on 2012-04-12.
- - Researchers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. Creating the Parisian Café, -1800. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -04-12, 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688854/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & John W. Kluge Center, S. B. (2012) Creating the Parisian Café, -1800. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -04-12. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688854/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. Creating the Parisian Café, -1800. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -04-12, 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688854/>.