Film, Video Unukupukupu Halau Hula.
About this Item
- Unukupukupu Halau Hula.
- Unukupukupu is the traditional Halau Hula (Hula School) of Hawai`i Community College, Hilo, Hawai`i. Here ancient dances and songs, rooted in the sacred `Aiha`a Pele (Ritual Dance of Volcanic Phenomena) intermingle with the rigor of academic inquiry. To experience the particular fiery style of hula termed `Aiha`a Pele, one is trained to call up the fire within the body and to dance until sweat shines at the temples and forehead. Under the cultural and academic stewardship of Dr. Taupouri Tangaroto, Unukupukupu is a community of traditional dancers functionally aware that Hula is one of the world's sacred dances of environmental kinship and global connections.
- Library of Congress.
- American Folklife Center, sponsoring body.
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2012-06-26.
- - Culture, Performing Arts
- - Performing Arts, Music
- - Classification: Music and Books on Music.
- - Recorded on 2012-06-26.
- - Kids, Families.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body American Folklife Center. Unukupukupu Halau Hula. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-26, 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688915/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & American Folklife Center, S. B. (2012) Unukupukupu Halau Hula. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-26. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688915/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body American Folklife Center. Unukupukupu Halau Hula. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-26, 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688915/>.