Film, Video The Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings & the American Experience
About this Item
- The Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings & the American Experience
- Stephen Wade presents a talk related to the research for his recent book, "The Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings and the American Experience," which takes as its starting point 13 iconic performances captured on Library of Congress field recordings between 1934 and 1942 in locations reaching from Southern Appalachia to the Mississippi Delta and onto the Great Plains. Through decades of research and detective work, musician Stephen Wade tracked down surviving performers and their families, fellow musicians, and community members. Weaving together loving and expert profiles of these performers with the histories of these songs and tunes, Wade brings to life largely unheralded individuals -- farm laborers, state prisoners, school children, cowboys, housewives and mothers, loggers and miners -- whose music has become part of the wider American musical soundscape. By exploring how these singers and instrumentalists exerted their own creativity on inherited forms, "amplifying tradition's gifts," Wade shows how a single artist can make a difference.
- Library of Congress
- American Folklife Center, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2013-03-27.
- - Culture, Folklife
- - Culture, Performing Arts
- - Education
- - Classification: Education.
- - Classification: Fine Arts.
- - Stephen Wade.
- - Recorded on 2013-03-27.
- - Publishers.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body American Folklife Center. The Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings & the American Experience. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -03-27, 2013. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021689064/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & American Folklife Center, S. B. (2013) The Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings & the American Experience. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -03-27. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021689064/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body American Folklife Center. The Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings & the American Experience. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -03-27, 2013. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021689064/>.