Film, Video What's in a Name? The Ghetto Comes to America
About this Item
- What's in a Name? The Ghetto Comes to America
- The term "ghetto" was first applied to overcrowded Jewish quarters in late nineteenth-century American cities like New York and Chicago. Over the course of the next century the word was thoroughly Americanized and primarily associated with urban segregation in the United States. Daniel Schwartz illustrates the word's diverse history, use and meaning.
- Library of Congress
- John W. Kluge Center (Library of Congress), sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2013-05-28.
- - Biography, History
- - Classification: Auxiliary Sciences of History.
- - Classification: History: America.
- - Daniel Schwartz.
- - Recorded on 2013-05-28.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. What's in a Name? The Ghetto Comes to America. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-28, 2013. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021689130/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & John W. Kluge Center, S. B. (2013) What's in a Name? The Ghetto Comes to America. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-28. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021689130/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body John W. Kluge Center. What's in a Name? The Ghetto Comes to America. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -05-28, 2013. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021689130/>.