Film, Video The Business of Abridgments in 18th-Century Britain & America
About this Item
- The Business of Abridgments in 18th-Century Britain & America
- In this highly illustrated lecture, Michael F. Suarez examined the surprising prevalence of abridgments in 18th-century Anglo-American publishing. Seeking to understand why the reprint trade is commonly the business of publishing abridgments, Suarez considered how intellectual property, economics, and provincial markets affect the activities of booksellers and the cultures of reading. Having examined 19th- and 20th-century collecting practices and the historiography of book history and bibliography, Suarez explained how the ubiquity of abridgments has largely escaped our notice until now.
- Library of Congress
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2017-07-19.
- - Abridgments, 18th Century Anglo-American Publishing, Cultures of Reading, Collecting Practices, Historiography of Book History
- - Biography, History
- - Education
- - Literature
- - Classification: Bibliography, Library Science, Information Resources (General).
- - Classification: Education.
- - Classification: History: America.
- - Classification: Language and Literature.
- - Michael F. Suarez.
- - Recorded on 2017-07-19.
- - Librarians, Archivists.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress. The Business of Abridgments in 18th-Century Britain & America. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-19, 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021690568/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress. (2017) The Business of Abridgments in 18th-Century Britain & America. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-19. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021690568/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress. The Business of Abridgments in 18th-Century Britain & America. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -07-19, 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021690568/>.