Film, Video Experimental Shadow Theater in Contemporary Bali, Indonesia
About this Item
- Experimental Shadow Theater in Contemporary Bali, Indonesia
- In recent years, several dalang (shadow masters) in both Bali and Java have presented reinterpreted shadow puppet performances of ancient Indonesian texts as part of considering religious pluralism and tolerance. It is within these texts, produced between 1100 and 1400 A.D. by the Javanese Hindu-Buddhist sages Mpu Kunturan and Mpu Tantular, that the Indonesian national motto bhineka tunggal ika (unity in diversity) first appeared. Cosponsored with the Indonesian Embassy, Education and Culture Section.
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Asian Division, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2017-10-18.
- - Biography, History
- - Culture, Performing Arts
- - Education
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Religion
- - shadow theater, shadow puppets, indonesia, bali, java, hinduism, buddhism
- - Classification: Auxiliary Sciences of History.
- - Classification: Fine Arts.
- - Classification: Geography, Anthropology, Recreation.
- - Classification: Language and Literature.
- - Classification: Philosophy, Psychology, Religion.
- - Andy McGraw, Gusti Sudarta.
- - Recorded on 2017-10-18.
- - Kids, Families.
- - Researchers.
- - Teachers.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Asian Division. Experimental Shadow Theater in Contemporary Bali, Indonesia. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-18, 2017. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021690634/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Asian Division, S. B. (2017) Experimental Shadow Theater in Contemporary Bali, Indonesia. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-18. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021690634/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Sponsoring Body Library Of Congress. Asian Division. Experimental Shadow Theater in Contemporary Bali, Indonesia. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -10-18, 2017. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021690634/>.