Manuscript/Mixed Material Document signed (contemporary copy)
About this Item
- Document signed (contemporary copy)
- A source for the history of the Drake-Norris expedition against Spain and Portugal, which was planned and organized immediately after the defeat of the Invincible Armada, and which was carried out in the following year, 1589. In this document, Sir Henry Billingsley (d. 1606), then an Alderman of London, and a wealthy merchant; Peter Osborne (1521-1592), a "remembrancer to the Lord Treasurer in the Exchequer", a leading Treasury official of the reigns of Edward VI and Elizabeth I; and Edward Fent, are charged with the duty of controlling and auditing the financial accounts of the Drake-Norris expedition. The enterprise had been organized as a sort of joint-venture, financed by investments by the Queen and private persons.
- Burghley, William Cecil, Baron, 1520-1598
- Walsingham, Francis, Sir, 1530?-1590
- Hans and Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- October 11, 1588
- - Armada, 1588
- - Burghley, William Cecil,--Baron,--1520-1598
- - Drake, Francis,--approximately 1540-1596--Travel
- - Walsingham, Francis,--Sir,--1530?-1590
- - 1 page. Folio (330 x 222 mm.). With an attached leaf bearing a 5-line docket.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Description based on Global Gateway metadata.
- - drakenew
- 1 sheet
- Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.rbc/rbc.home
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of the Sir Francis Drake Collection have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Burghley, William Cecil, Baron, Francis Walsingham, and Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. Document Signed Contemporary Copy. 1588. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021699431/.
APA citation style:
Burghley, W. C., Walsingham, F. & Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. (1588) Document Signed Contemporary Copy. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021699431/.
MLA citation style:
Burghley, William Cecil, Baron, Francis Walsingham, and Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. Document Signed Contemporary Copy. 1588. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021699431/>.