Manuscript/Mixed Material Letter signed, in Spanish. To the Duke of Medina Sidonia
About this Item
- Letter signed, in Spanish. To the Duke of Medina Sidonia
- News of the death of Drake, one of Medina Sidonia's principal adversaries in the Armada battles of 1588. Armenteros was a lawyer, as his title of "Licenciado" shows, and at this time was a member of the Council of the Indies (see Schaefer, Indice de la Colección de Documentos Inéditos de Indias , I, p. 41). His report, certainly unpublished, states that the ships of Drake's raiding expedition had arrived back in England, having suffered heavy losses in both men and ships, with Drake's body preserved in a barrel of beer. This latter news was false, as he had been buried at sea. Armenteros goes on to say that this had ruined the plans for a great English-Dutch fleet, since the expenses were to be paid from the 2,000,000 ducats which Drake had been falsely credited with plundering at Puerto Rico. Armenteros further reports on the siege of Calais, which had been captured by the Archduke Albert in April.
- Armenteros, Andres
- Hans and Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- June 20, 1596.
- - Armenters, Andres
- - Drake, Francis,--approximately 1540-1596--Early works to 1800
- - Medina Sidonia, Alonso Pérez de Guzmán,--duque de,--1550-1619
- - 1 page, with attached leaf blank except for docket. Folio (305 x 210 mm.). In a cloth folder.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Description based on Global Gateway metadata.
- - drakenew
- 1 sheet
- Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.rbc/rbc.home
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of the Sir Francis Drake Collection have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Armenteros, Andres, and Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. Letter signed, in Spanish. To the Duke of Medina Sidonia. 1596. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021699435/.
APA citation style:
Armenteros, A. & Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. (1596) Letter signed, in Spanish. To the Duke of Medina Sidonia. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021699435/.
MLA citation style:
Armenteros, Andres, and Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. Letter signed, in Spanish. To the Duke of Medina Sidonia. 1596. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021699435/>.