Manuscript/Mixed Material Document signed
About this Item
- Document signed
- Peter Lemon's testimony gives, in brief outline, a fascinating escape-narrative; it was made on the eve of Philip II's last "Spanish Armada," the one of 1597. It is entitled "The depositione of peeter Lemman of Mylbrooke, taken by Richard Carew of Antony in Cornwayle the 7th of November, 1596." He tells how he "went out of England with Sir ffrauncis Drake"--this was with Drake's last voyage, 1595-1596. He was captured, then sent to Spain with other English prisoners, arrived at San Lucar, the port of Seville, escaped thence to Seville, then to Madrid, Bayonne, and back to England. He landed at Fowey in Cornwall, and made this statement to Richard Carew (1555-1620), who was High Sheriff of Cornwall, and deputy-lieutenant, under Sir Walter Ralegh, in command of the regiment charged with the defense of Cawsand Bay, just at the entrance to Plymouth Harbor.
- Lemon, Peter
- Hans and Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- November 7, 1596
- - Drake, Francis,--approximately 1540-1596--Travel--America
- - Elizabeth--I,--Queen of England,--1533-1603--Early works to 1800
- - Philip--II,--King of Spain,--1527-1598
- - Raleigh, Walter,--Sir,--1552?-1618--Travel--America
- - Cornwall
- - 1 page. Folio (310 x 215 mm.).
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Description based on Global Gateway metadata.
- - drakenew
- 1 sheet
- Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.rbc/rbc.home
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of the Sir Francis Drake Collection have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lemon, Peter, and Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. Document Signed. November 7, 1596. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021699436/.
APA citation style:
Lemon, P. & Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. (1596) Document Signed. November 7. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021699436/.
MLA citation style:
Lemon, Peter, and Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. Document Signed. November 7, 1596. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021699436/>.