Book/Printed Material Mobile mapping : space, cartography and the digital
About this Item
- Mobile mapping : space, cartography and the digital
- "This book argues for a theory of mobile mapping, a situated and spatial approach towards researching how everyday digital mobile media practices are bound up in global systems of knowledge and power. Drawing from literature in media studies and geography - and the work of Michel Foucault and Doreen Massey - it examines how geographical and historical material, social, and cultural conditions are embedded in the way in which contemporary (digital) cartographies are read, deployed, and engaged. This is explored through seventeen walking interviews in Hong Kong and Sydney, as potent discourses like cartographic reason continue to transform and weave through the world in ways that haunt mobile mapping and bring old conflicts into new media. In doing so, 'Mobile Mapping' offers an interdisciplinary rethinking about how multiple translations of spatial knowledges between rational digital epistemologies and tacit ways of understanding space and experience might be conceptualized and researched."--Back cover.
- Wilmott, Clancy, author
Created / Published
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 
- - Cartography--Social aspects
- - Cell phones--Social aspects
- - Digital mapping--Social aspects
- - Digital maps--Psychological aspects
- - Experience
- - Interviewing in urban sociology
- - Tacit knowledge
- - Includes bibliographical references and index.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (348 pages )
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wilmott, Clancy, Author. Mobile Mapping: Space, Cartography and the Digital. [Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2020] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021758717/.
APA citation style:
Wilmott, C. (2020) Mobile Mapping: Space, Cartography and the Digital. [Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021758717/.
MLA citation style:
Wilmott, Clancy, Author. Mobile Mapping: Space, Cartography and the Digital. [Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2020] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021758717/>.