Book/Printed Material Genocidal empires : German colonialism in Africa and the Third Reich
About this Item
- Genocidal empires : German colonialism in Africa and the Third Reich
- Bachmann, Klaus, 1963- author
Created / Published
- Berlin ; New York : Peter Lang, 
- Introduction: German South-West Africa 1904-1907-the exception to German colonial rule -- The genocide that did not take place -- The causes of war -- The policy shift in 1904 -- The genocide that did take place -- The war against the Nama -- The camps -- The deportations -- The consequences of Germany's colonial policy in Namibia -- Germany's colonial policy in the light of international criminal law -- The evolution of the genocide concept in international criminal law -- Genocide without genocidal intent? -- Was quelling the Herero uprising genocide? -- Destroying the Herero and Nama as ethnic groups -- The responsibility of superiors and peers -- How ICL sheds new light on other cases of extreme colonial violence in the German empire -- Genocide in German East Africa? -- The case of the Bushmen -- From Africa to Auschwitz, from Windhuk to the Holocaust? -- Institutional continuity between the Kaiserreich's colonial bureaucracy and the Third Reich -- Continuity of informal knowledge -- Elite continuity between German South-West Africa and the Third Reich -- From Berlin to Cape Town and Windhoek -- The Auslandsorganisation Der NSDAP -- The failure of the Auslandsorganisation in South-West Africa -- Higher stakes: South Africa -- Operation weissdorn -- Patterns of extreme violence in the German colonies and German-occupied central and eastern Europe -- An early version of apartheid?
- - Genocide--German East Africa
- - Genocide--Namibia
- - German East Africa--History
- - Germany--Colonies--Africa--Race relations
- - Germany--Politics and government--1933-1945
- - Namibia--History--1884-1915
- - Includes bibliographical references and index.
- - Description based on print version record; resource not viewed.
- 1 electronic resource (382 pages)
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode External
- Unrestricted online access
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are licensed under open access licenses allowing for the reuse and distribution of each book following the terms described in each license. Researchers should consult the Rights Advisory statement for each title and the accompanying license details for information about rights and permissions associated with each of the licenses.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bachmann, Klaus, Author. Genocidal empires: German colonialism in Africa and the Third Reich. [Berlin ; New York: Peter Lang, 2018] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021758733/.
APA citation style:
Bachmann, K. (2018) Genocidal empires: German colonialism in Africa and the Third Reich. [Berlin ; New York: Peter Lang] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021758733/.
MLA citation style:
Bachmann, Klaus, Author. Genocidal empires: German colonialism in Africa and the Third Reich. [Berlin ; New York: Peter Lang, 2018] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021758733/>.